Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Gear Shopping and Birthday Sushi

Have been lusting forever over Western Mountaineering website trying to figure out exactly which down jacket I was going to give up my first born for. Yesterday I discovered Golden, Colorado's Bent Gate (a dog friendly store too, I might add).
This store is the Western Mountaineering MECA. If you are drooling over high quality pillowy sleeping bags this is the place to be. They have every single WM bag you can imagine, a rarity if you know gear stores.
I was looking for a ultra-light down jacket for the TransRockies race that I could wear hanging out post race for those chilly nights and mornings. Something very very packable yet warm, water resistant, and comfortable. I rested my eyes on the WM Flash jacket in slate blue. The website's pics did not do this jacket justice- a vibrant blue, great baffling design, gentle elastic, draft tube behind zipper, nicely slanted down filled pockets, and the touch....oh my. Soft, smooth, fluffy and delicate. It felt as light as a t-shirt yet when I put it on I instantly began to get toasty. SOLD! And then to top it off, the guy showing me around took the jacket and began to roll it from bottom up, then tucked it neatly inside it's own hood. The thing was the size of a grapefruit and at a mere 9 oz you couldn't even recognize it as a jacket.

When I got home and got a pic of it the flash suddenly lit up the jacket. There is reflective piping throughout the jacket that isn't very visible at first glance. Very nice....


After tossing in a few Icebreaker shirts and a new Women's Prolite Plus Thermarest pad (to replace my old well-used Prolite), I think I am set for my race. Woot!

That night I went out for dinner at Sushi Zanmai in Boulder to celebrate one of my very good friend's 27th birthday. The spicy edamame appetizer and sushi were both excellent. I highly recommend their Mango Tango Roll, Salmon w/ green onion, and Rock and Roll (spicy tuna w/ tempura). The spicy tuna was awesome- just enough heat to make your mouth burn but with tons of flavor. The mango roll was unique in that it had sweet dipping sauce instead of soy. Delicious and almost could pass as a desert.
With bellies full, Amanda and I loaded back into the car to head to the house for some homemade cheesecake with raspberry ganache (compliments of Jason -THANK YOU!).

I call that some great carb-loading for pre-race week training:)

BTW- just heard from Steph and her flight comes in tomorrow afternoon! Get ready TransRockies cuz Jinx's Revenge is on their way!!!

3 comments:

Trishie said...

Ohhhh fun ! love the new jacket!

CSchaez said...

I'm happy you liked the blue... Personally, I'm a big fan of it, but we almost didn't carry the color because we thought it might be TOO vibrant.

good luck with the TransRockies challenge!

M said...

Hope you race went well!!!