Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Warm Weather Run Along the Hogback

It broke into the high 50's today with the sun shining and a few clouds in the distance. I had to get outside! Pup and I went over to Matthew Winters Park and did the 7 mile loop starting from the trailhead: along Red Rocks Trail up Morrison Slide, continue onto Red Rocks Trail (south) to Dakota Ridge. Followed Dakota Ridge all the way up along Hogback and back down to the trailhead parking lot. I let little man play in the creek by the bridge when we got back. His reward for running hard core with me.

I wished I had the balls to decently ask this guy for his picture, but I wasn't sure if he could stop! He was impressive: a complete AKA (Above the Knee Amputation) who had a cool looking prosthetic and was hauling ass on his mountain bike. The prosthetic (which appeared to go all the way to his hip) looked like two simple bars of metal- one for his thigh and one for his calf and all clipped into a pedal. I love seeing guys like him, working around his disability and living life to its fullest. I am ashamed of myself some days when I moan about how hard or difficult some things are...seriously? This is being burned permanently inside my head for those pep talks I sometimes give myself during races/running. I know, for sure, if I ever lost a limb I would get a wicked looking prosthetic that would make full-limb peeps jealous and keep on running up these mountains!


 Yeah, I'm climbing that!

 Seriously fun and hard trail to run!


 What the heck? Where is this mysterious shooting range?! I must know?! BYOG? Count me in!

DONE!

At home I made some Spiced Orange Chai Concentrate from FoodiewithFamily. OMG it's delish and to be frank, I am a chai snob. This recipe is too sweet for my delicate taste buds so I would cut down on the sugar next time, or leave it out all together and sweeten each serving as I reheat it. 

My simplified version:
4 1/2 c. water
1 stick cinnamon, broken into pieces
1 piece ginger root, (2-4") chunked
8 whole cardamom pods
2 whole star anise pods
10 whole cloves
8 whole black peppercorns
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
half orange, sliced (unpeeled)
10 black or green tea bags (I used black- English Breakfast or Assam)
1/2 Cup raw sugar
1 Tbs. Honey
1 Tbs. vanilla extract

Instructions: Bring water to boil, add spices and tea. Remove from heat, cover and let steep 20 minutes. Strain, add sugar through vanilla and store chilled in a large jar up to a month. 

To serve: Mix 1:1 milk to Chai. May reheat or serve chilled. 

2 comments:

JeffO said...

Leave the sugar out but keep the honey. Sounds good!

WildChildT said...

JeffO- my thoughts exactly!