Friday, April 27, 2012

Saucony Love

I have worn my Saucony Peregrines now for several trail runs to the point I feel confident enough to give a honest opinion:

I'm digging these shoes.

I ended up buying a new pair of Saucony Peregrines in half a size larger than I normally wear. The pink size 8s were great for shorter distances but anything after 10 to 15 miles plus I could feel my toes getting a little banged up by the front of the toe box. The blue 8.5s are perfect and were on super sale! I like the pink color scheme better than the blue but I'm not being too picky. For the price, my trap is staying shut on the dizzying color pattern.
The good:
-lightweight 8.2 oz
-The tread is aggressive enough to perform great on the trail without being too knobby. 
-The rock plate in the sole is awesome. I have ran on real technical rocky trails and had no issues with cramping, bruising, or uncomfortableness.
-The sole allows you to "feel" the trail completely but without causing discomfort. Rocks feel like lumps, sticks feel like bumps, but nothing actually digs sharp up into your foot. I like this feeling
-The minimalist 4mm heel drop is amazing and has greatly improved my turnover rate in my stride. I never was much of a heel striker but now I notice I am even more on my forefoot than I was before. This also affects my hill climbs and the strength of my calves/hamstrings. 
-The fabric on the upper is very breathable and I find my feet don't sweat as much in them. *I haven't run in any inclement weather so can't remark on this factor. 
-The toe box is sturdy enough, I haven't slammed my toes on any rocks (rare for me) but so far they seem well protected. Some of the other minimalist shoes have had severe issues with toe protection. 
-The back cups the heel perfectly without any extra movement or rubbing. No sloshing around in this shoe.
-I like that although they are following the trendy fashion of bright colors, they have kept with some normal colors for those that don't wish to be "cool". I can't stand many of the flashy neon colors a lot of the shoe companies have adopted. I'm all for a little bling but looking like a toddler armed with a highlighter attacked my feet is out of bounds.

The bad:
- The laces are already starting to fray and I really wish they would switch to a quick lace system like Salomon. *sigh* oh well. I am going to try those after market quick laces that I used for my tri-shoes. 
-The tongue bunches up a tiny tiny bit. Just enough for me to notice but it hasn't yet caused any issues.  
- I can see, at least with this version, how the fabric may not last through too much abuse. However, with the drastically reduced price, replacing them won't send me into episodes of financial chest pain.

The ugly:
Not a thing to be found. 


I can't wait to try out the Peregrine 2 version in which they altered the upper fabric. I'd be interested in how they performed and breathed. The Hoogster mentioned I might be interested in the Kinvaras and see they are coming out with a Kinvara 3 version. I might have to pick up a pair to wear on the treadmill and rare bike trail/road run. As for the Peregrines, I think these might be featured in my TransRockies race if I can put enough miles in them from now til August to develop my muscles enough to prevent injury!

Overall: 
Really Salomon, it's me not you. Wait, no it's definitely you. Okay I'll compromise to say it's a little bit of both of us. So long sweet Salomon and your overpriced fancy pants shoes with additionally overpriced inserts! You have served me well in many amazing races but it's time to try new things. I now have a new love named Saucony which are much much lower maintenance (no inserts!) and feel oh so perfect on my tootsies. 

Sauconys give me happy feet!

No comments: