Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Sucking Air...AKA I just ran my first 5K

I woke up at 5:30 am after working half a night shift and headed to a local 5k trail race that was starting at 8. I woke up at 5:30 not because I planned to (my alarm was set for 7) but because I was too excited to get out and run. I had decided just the day before that I was going to run it, with only a small handful of runs and hikes under my belt since the birth of my daughter just over a year ago. I have a very small amount of baby fat left but I still feel, well, lumpy. Not the toned athlete I was two years ago. Still, I was determined.

So after a leisurely breakfast I kissed the sleepy-eyed cowboy and headed downtown. A friend of ours had just gotten back from a vacation to Hawaii and brought us back a small bag of chocolate espresso covered macadamia nuts called "Donkey Balls". I popped one in my mouth and declared it my pre-race fuel.

The race was just a small local run, not a lot of turn out which was fine by me. The less eyes on my crappy performance the better but gosh darnnit I was going to run this thing, even if I had to walk it.

Well, I ran it and I ran it well....for being my first major "run" since baby. My goal was sub 30 and I accomplished that. I had no further expectations of myself beyond the sub 30 until I got to the start line. There was one individual who presented themselves quite a bit on the arrogant side and at that moment I wanted to beat that person. Badly. They took off fast but fizzled right away. It was all I could do not to smack that person on the ass as I ran by. I didn't. I held myself together, but it was hard. Real hard.

I came in 5th overall and 1st in my age group. Before you get all excited, don't. I only had to beat like one or two other people and the entire race only held something like 20-25 people. It wasn't grand but I am damn proud of myself for running that race and not being forced to walk it.

The embarrassing point....that race nearly crippled me the next day. I was doing fine until I had to walk down the basement stairs. Hello hammies!!!!!   It was a "good pain" though and let me know I was back. My body was feeling it and it felt soooo good.  I met a neighbor who wants to run with me and I've already committed to another trail 5K less than a month away.


In other wonderful news, Cowboy and I are starting on baby #2. I start my meds this week for another round of fun times. I'm not going to write too much about it and I might be MIA for a bit but hopefully something absolutely beautiful will be in process. Please pray for us, we need all the help we can get down this rocky road.

No comments: