Friday, May 26, 2017

Sweet Sore Abs!

I just discovered a pretty cool free fitness app called Sworkit by Nexercise. It has seven "apps" that work different parts of your body. You can choose the time amount that you want to work out (ex. 5 min, 15 min, etc) and the targeted areas of your selected body part. Two days ago I did the abs and core app and chose "absolutely awesome" for 5 minutes. I then proceeded with two other free fitness apps- the J&J 7 Minute Workout and Wahoo 7 Minute Workout. Today I am sore! 

I really enjoyed the Sworkit apps the best. For the five minutes I worked out they had a circuit of exercises for 30 seconds each. The app displays a person performing the exercise for roughly 5 seconds prior to starting each 30 second exercise.  The prompting voice was pleasant and not robotic or boring. The only annoying thing is after the five minutes it made me watch an ad for a bit.

The J&J 7M Workout was my second favorite as it had very similar features as the Sworkit app but with a British or Australian accented guy prompting the circuit. I laughed a few times mimicking the voice when he said "Woll Squots". I'll definitely keep this one and the Sworkit apps on my phone and use them as much as I can. I mean, you can't really say "I don't have five minutes" to do basic workouts that require no additional (that I have seen yet) equipment.

The third app by Wahoo was boring with a capital B. Robotic voice, no good graphics just boring stripes of boring colors with the different exercises listed in each stripe. It was anti-motivational (did I mention boring?). It got deleted.

So hurray for sore abs! Also, my nephew is in town and I took him to this cool trail with an active fire tower. Devil's Head Trail is only roughly 3 miles round trip but we power hiked it up in about 20-ish minutes and ran down it in half. It was beautiful. As the only working fire tower in the area you can see over 100 miles in every direction. It was a great run and H is asking me when we can go on our next trail run! I attached a link to AllTrails which has a super cool app although for it to be of great use you have to subscribe to the Pro version. Alternately there is an amazing very similar app from REI called Trail Run Project seen here. The AllTrails gives a little bit better description of the trail but I found the reviews and such were better found on REI's app. Check em both out and you decide. You can check-in at your trailhead and it will keep your GPS updated so you don't get lost. I'm not a fan as I don't really wish to run down my phone battery which I rely primarily on phoning in emergency and taking great trail pics. I'd rather use my GPS watch, but hey whatever.

I also broke in my new Saucony Peregrine 6 trail running shoes on the Devil's Head Trail. They performed, as usual, amazingly. Love Sauconys- I love the rock plate and the roominess.


No comments: